come up against = face something difficult
- When we first opened our shop, we came up against many difficulties.
- When we first came to this neighbourhood, we came up against many unexpected problems.
- The mayor wants to close one road and open a new one elsewhere but he has come up against many local businesses who disagree.
- The government has come up against a lot of opposition to their plans.
- We always come up against smaller or bigger problems in life and we have to solve them. Sometimes we feel we come up against a brick wall, because the problems seem impossible to solve.