deprive of = not allow somebody to have something important
- If they deprive you of electricity for a few hours, you realise how important it is.
- They deprived us of water for five hours and we couldn't drink or wash our hands.
- She was deprived of sugar for three months in her attempt to lose weight.
- People who are deprived of the love of their parents are usually unhappy people.
- You cannot deprive anyone of the right to vote.
- If you are deprived of sleep, you feel tired.
- When you are on a diet, you shouldn't deprive yourself of vitamins.