PHRASAL VERBS,PHRASAL VERBS, PHRASAL VERBS!


SMELL OF, WARD OFF

smell of = have a particular smell
 examples:
  • His breath smelled of cigarettes.
  • His breath smelled of beer.
  • You smell of perfume. Are you going out?
  • You haven't been drinking? The whole room smells of alcohol!
  • I have just had a bath and the bathroom smells of this wonderful soap I used.
  • The soup smelled deliciously of herbs.
ward off = keep something unpleasant away

examples:
  • Our dogs ward off unwanted visitors.
  • I can't ward off mosquitoes in the summer. They are all over me.
  • He started hitting her and she put her hands up to ward off the blows.
  • He takes pills to ward off depression.
  • I can't ward off this bad feeling.
  • The last time you fell off your bike you hurt your head. Wear a helmet this time to ward off danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment