lay down = establish something, say what others must do
- The new government has laid down new laws.
- The ministry is going to lay down new rules in the market.
- The contract lays down the conditions for the sale.
- It is laid down in the regulations that students are not allowed to bring mobile phones to school.
- Teachers lay down the school rules in cooperation with the students.
- Follow the instructions laid down in the booklet to fit the machine.
- Great scientists have laid down the principles of Physics.
- The Prime Minister laid down the general directions but nothing has been decided yet.
- It is laid down what you have to do in this case. Just read the law.
- Governments have to lay down tough standards for public health.